Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Running Fool

Last Sunday was one of the more challenging days I’ve had in Ecuador. No, I didn’t get robbed, lost in the cultural differences or sick from the ever-present street food but instead I ran my first half-marathon! About a week back my friend Elliot mentioned to me that he had signed up for the race but could no longer make it so I casually said I would take his place. After accepting, I told myself I would train and went on a few runs while I was on the coast visiting my future job site. Running on the coast was great and each run ended with a dip in the ocean for some bodysurfing. I trained for two days and collectively ran 10 k during my time on the coast. The following week I left for Quito for a week full of meetings culminating on Sunday with the Quito half-marathon. The week leading up to the race was very busy for me and I didn’t get to train at all, the only physical activity I had was about 20 mins of pick-up soccer I played one day in Parque Carolina. Frankly, I was in trouble and wasn’t very optimistic about my chances on finishing the race. The course was 21 k (13 miles) long starting in downtown Quito and finishing at La Mitad Del Mundo. The course was a series of hills for the first 19k and ended with a brutal 2k uphill climb all the way to the finish line, not failing to mention that Quito sits a almost 10,000 feet above sea level making it the 2nd highest capital in the world. One the day of the race, I hoped on the bus and headed downtown to meet my fellow runners Jay, Nick, Maggie, Laura and Jeannette. The scene at the start was more dance party than marathon with large speakers blaring house music and many of the participants dancing around to keep warm, Quito at 7 a.m. is cold!! As the clock struck 7 we were off, my pace for the first few k was quite fast attributed mostly to the adrenaline I was experiencing running with so many people. As the race wore on and the crowed dissipated I found myself pacing Jay, which was great for me since he was a more experienced marathon runner than me. So for 19 k we pushed on keeping a pretty good pace to finish in 2 hours or so. Throughout the race there were quite a few supporters showering us with encouragement and even pieces of pineapple and grapes. By kilometer 19, I was literally the running dead. The uphill climbed killed me as I watched Jay slowly disappear in front on me. When his 6’2 frame started to look more like a speck of dust on the horizon I knew I had to suck it up and finish the race. I mustered up all the energy I had left and dominated the last k of the hill finishing in 2 hours and 15 mins. For my first attempt at marathon running I’m pleased with that time, I happy to have finished. It was a very challenging event combined with the altitude and series of hills throughout the course. I’m glad I participated and it was an experience I’ll never forget but it didn’t quite inspire me to become a hardcore runner just yet. I think I’ll stick to biking, yoga and soccer. Running long distances like that really takes a toll on your body and I can attest to that, I have been limping around Quito like a grandpa for the last two days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing your race, despite some difficult circumstances. I'm proud of you, keep up with your unfaultering determination!!! Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful, and that your turkey turned out well. Now, your heading for your birthday soon---be well!!! Love, MOM

Katie said...

So proud of you! But you are insane. I know how long and tiring that must have been. The air in Quito isn't exactly the easiest air to breathe and the elevation alone would make that run unbearable for most. Thinking about you this week. We miss you! San Francisco isn't the same without you. Happy Birthday!